Outlook is a widely-preferred email messaging platform by Windows as well as Mac users. However, both the platforms use different storing formats to save their mailbox information, and are sensitive to corruption problems, when go through any anomaly.
Outlook for Mac stores its database in OLM file format and contain all your emails, calendars, address book, tasks etc. But, the increasing size of the OLM files can be problematic situation for the users, if not managed timely. Additionally, various other factors (like unexpected server crash, corruption of hard disk, malware/virus attack etc.) may also corrupt OLM files. Below mentioned is one of such common errors encountered by Outlook OLM files.
“Identity could not be open with this version Outlook for Mac“
Reason Behind the Error
This error message is generally encountered in Outlook for Mac 2011, when the application is re-installed, but not with the latest upgrades. Due to this error message, user often loses emails, and other essential data items from Outlook mailboxes.
Before you implement this resolution, it is important to verify whether you have or not installed Service Pack 2 (SP2), because the location of some files may differ. In order to check that you have SP2 installed or not, then open Word, and then go to About Word, from the Word Menu. If the version information is 14.2.0 or higher, then you have SP2 installed on your machine and you need to implement the below mentioned solution to resolve this issue.
Download and Install the Latest Office Update
This OLM error can be resolved by upgrading to the latest Office update. You can install upgrade that comes included with AutoUpdate for Mac, in order to keep your application up to date. All the important upgrades are automatically updated without searching and installing some specific updates. To perform automatic upgrades, implement the following steps:
- Launch Office for Mac application
- Select Help menu and look for the updates
- Under the option “How would you like to check for software updates?”, select Automatically.
- Select ‘check for updates’ option to automatically show you the AutoUpdates
However, if you want to manually search the updates, then don’t need to select ‘Automatically’ option.
Quit Outlook for Mac and Other Programs
- On Apple menu, choose Force Quit option or simply press Command> option>ESC.
- Select a program from the “Force Quit Applications”
Note: Although, youcannot quit Finder.
- Select Force Quit option to forcefully stop all the programs.
- Repeat the same procedure until all required programs are not stopped.
Note: when you select Force Quit option to close any program, then the unsaved changes will not be saved.
Move Outlook Identities
- Quit Outlook for Mac program and all other applications.
- Reach Go button and Click Home option.
- Click and open Documents, and again open Microsoft User Data.
- Now drag Office 2011 Identities to the desktop.
- Launch Outlook for Mac app.
However, if the problem still persists, then try to move Office 2011 identities to User Data Folder, then try to rebuild the identity database. Although, if none of the above methods work, then try using a third-party OLM to PST converter, which offers the convenience to effectively recover data from corrupt OLM files and then restore it to Outlook PST file, live Exchange Server or Office 365 mailbox.
To get more information about the tool, visit: http://www.olmtopstutility.net/